Friday, April 15, 2011

Luckily, I won't have to decide right away!



23andme anounced yesterday that is it now possible for their clients of European descent to know their Alzheimer's risk. This "diagnosis" includes the detection of a mutation, APOE ε4, known to substantially increase the risk of developping the disease.

Just as was the case with the hereditary breast cancer gene mutations when I received my first results, to see my results I would now have to click again on an opt-in button, signalling my informed consent.

I've long asked myself what I would do when the time came. Would I feel an irresistible urge to know? Being just a click away from the "truth" might turn out to be unbearable... And do I really want to know?

Now the time has come... but not exactly in my case, at least not immediately, because for that to happen I would have to get tested again, with a new kit. My current results are incomplete. I'm so relieved!

No comments:

Post a Comment